StatCounter

StatCounter

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Housing in Japan

Housing in Japan is expensive. Housing is extremely expensive, especially in the cities. There are two main factors. One is the scarcity of land. The other is that Japanese can't build real high-rise housing because of the danger of earthquakes. This makes the cost of land in Tokyo the highest in the world. In some residential areas the price per square foot is astronomical.

So the average worker can't afford to buy a house. It's harder than ever before. Until recently, if you were willing to commute a few hours a day, a small house was possible. Now, in the big cities, many people have given up on even that. It's easier in smaller cities and towns.

Most apartments are tiny by western standards. They also have better rental apartments and condos. They're called "mansion." They're larger and more comfortable, but the rents or purchase prices are very high.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... well I'm planning to go live there just for try, I can also teach spanish and english too, money could be not a problem because in my country I have some properties and I rent them, I'm also planning of course to leave someone in charge about that, but well it's gonna be a little easier cause I don't have a wife or kids, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dakuro..I am sure, you will love the place. I am back to my country but I miss Japan a lot..

    ReplyDelete